Tuesday, August 10, 2010

i am a girl


The wife and I are halfway through watching Julie and Julia, a film I would describe as somewhere between the dated 'You've Got Mail', and the chick-film 'Fried Green Tomatoes'. There is no other single element that would make a guy less attractive than for him to have J. Childs as a hero.

There are three things that come to mind as to why I am reluctantly enjoying this film:

1) At one time I was a kitchen manager of a restaurant. The movie reminds me of a time when my cooking was less 'curried' and/or 'stewed'. A time when I knew the excitement of getting a Hollandaise sauce perfect.

2) It is tap-off day for the cider keg, and I drink too much.

3) I am a girl.

In short, Julie and Julia is a biopic estrogen-fest, written and edited by a discordant committee, that the whole family will enjoy, or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment